Imagine growing up in poverty, being teased for dressing in potato sacks because you can’t afford to wear anything else. These are the humble beginnings of Oprah Winfrey, who was actually called ‘Orpah’, named after a biblical character. The name was often mispronounced, and of course, ‘Oprah’ stuck.
Oprah Winfrey popularised the talk show format, for which she interviewed many celebrities over the years. She created a safe, intimate and confessional environment for her guests, which proved extremely popular. With a net worth of $3 billion, Oprah Winfrey is one of the most successful entrepreneurs. Beyond money – Oprah has been named the most influential woman of her generation.
When I was a child, my parents encouraged us to watch the Oprah Winfrey show. It wasn’t considered trash TV. I think this was partly because she shared honest, genuine stories from the heart. The Oprah Winfrey show brought us quality content; moments that made us reflect and challenge our own experiences.
Over the years, she has shared much wisdom. In this post, I’ve condensed it all into 30 of the top quotes from Oprah Winfrey. When you’re reading through this list, I would love for you to take a moment to reflect on how Oprah has had an impact on your life, and leave a comment below.
30 Inspirational Oprah Winfrey Quotes
1.“The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” ― Oprah Winfrey
2. “The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance–and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.” ― Oprah Winfrey
3. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” ― Oprah Winfrey
4. “I trust that everything happens for a reason, even when we’re not wise enough to see it.” ― Oprah Winfrey
5. “Often we don’t even realize who we’re meant to be because we’re so busy trying to live out someone else’s ideas. But other people and their opinions hold no power in defining our destiny.” ― Oprah Winfrey
6. “The choice to be excellent begins with aligning your thoughts and words with the intention to require more from yourself.” ― Oprah Winfrey
7. “The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power. Facing the truth really will set you free.” ― Oprah Winfrey
8. “What material success does is provide you with the ability to concentrate on other things that really matter. And that is being able to make a difference, not only in your own life but in other people’s lives.” ― Oprah Winfrey
9. “You don’t become what you want, you become what you believe.” ― Oprah Winfrey
10. “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” ― Oprah Winfrey
11. “Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” ― Oprah Winfrey
12. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.” ― Oprah Winfrey
13. “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” ― Oprah Winfrey
14. “If I lost control of the business, I’d lose myself–or at least the ability to be myself. Owning myself is a way to be myself.” ― Oprah Winfrey
15. “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.”― Oprah Winfrey
16. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” ― Oprah Winfrey
17. “Use your life to serve the world. You will find that it also serves you.” ― Oprah Winfrey
18. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.” – Oprah Winfrey
19. “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey
20. “Don’t worry about becoming successful but work toward being significant and the success will naturally follow.” – Oprah Winfrey
21. “I believe that everyone is the keeper of a dream – and by tuning into one another’s secret hopes, we can become better friends, better partners, better parents, and better lovers.” – Oprah Winfrey
22. “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” – Oprah Winfrey
23. “I believe that every single event in life happens in an opportunity to choose love over fear.” – Oprah Winfrey
24. “With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.” – Oprah Winfrey
25. “Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.” – Oprah Winfrey
26. “What I know for sure is that what you give comes back to you.” – Oprah Winfrey
27. “What material success does is provide you with the ability to concentrate on other things that really matter. And that is being able to make a difference, not only in your own life, but in other people’s lives.” – Oprah Winfrey
28. “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.” – Oprah Winfrey
29. “If you want your life to be more rewarding, you have to change the way you think.” – Oprah Winfrey
30. “I have a lot of things to prove to myself. One is that I can live my life fearlessly.” – Oprah Winfrey
Over to you now – leave a comment below sharing with us how Oprah Winfrey has changed your life and which quote is your favourite?